Monday, February 28, 2022

Art Doll

 Art Doll

Hello everyone. It's Patti Campbell. Today I am sharing with you my art doll made with love and ArtFoamies.

For this project I used:

  •  ArtFoamies Joyful Set by Kae Pea
  • 3 pieces of fabric
  • Tulip Metallics fabric paint in Gold
  • Jacquard Textiles fabric paint in True Red and Brown
  • two black buttons
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • polyester fiber fill
  • needle and thread
  • fabric marker
  • small heart ArtFoamie


Step 1:
I drew a circle on the fabric for her head and cut out 2 circles with 1/4" seam allowance.

Step 2:
Using the eyes and the mouth from the Joyful Set, I stamped a face on the head with Jacquard Textiles paint.


Step 3:
I pinned the two circles together right sides together. I sewed them together leaving a 2" opening at the bottom. Then I turned it right side out.



Step 4:
I stuffed the head with the polyester fiber fill. 


Step 5:
At this point I decided she needed cheeks so I cut some circles out of the fabric I used for her body and hand stitched them onto the head. 



Step 6:
On a heavy piece of cardstock I drew my pattern for the body, arms, and legs.

Step 7:
Using the patterns, I cut out two of the body shapes, four arm shapes, and four leg shapes.

Step 8:
Right sides together, I pinned the body pieces, then the arm and leg pieces. 

Step 9:
Using 1/4" seam allowance I sewed the arms together leaving the top of the arm open where it will attach to the body. Then I stuffed the arms with the fiber fill. 

Step 10:
I pinned the stuffed arms to the front side of the body, with the hands crossed over the body. Refer to the picture below. 

Step 11:
I pinned the two body pieces together with right sides together. 

Step 12:
I sewed all the way around the body leaving the neck open. 

Step 13:
Carefully I reached through the neck and pulled out the arms and turned the rest of the body right side out. 


Step 14:
Next I stuffed the body with the fiber fill. Using the small heart stamp and the True Red paint I gave her a heart on the front of her body and outlined it with a black paint pen. 


Step 15:
I placed the head onto the neck, inserting the top of the neck into the head. I used a ladder stitch to attach. 

Step 16:
I sewed the leg pieces together right sides together leaving the top open where they will attach to the body. Then I stuffed them and hand sewed them to the bottom seam of the body.

Step 17:
I made a pattern for her dress with the cardstock, traced it on the wrong side of the fabric and cut out two pieces. 


Step 18:
In the front piece of the dress, I cut out a triangle. I folded in the raw edge.

Step 19:
I cut out a piece of the same fabric I used for her head to fit into the triangle cutout of the dress. I stamped it in gold with another stamp from the Joyful Set. 



Step 20:
Placing the dress front on the table wrong side up, I laid the triangle over the opening wrong side up and pinned it in place.

Step 21:
I sewed the triangle in place using a zigzag stitch.

Step 22:
Then I placed the dress front and back right sides together, pinned it, and sewed the tops of the sleeves on each side and then down the side seams. I left the arm openings and head opening. 

Step 23:
I folded in the raw edge of the bottom of the dress and sewed to make a hem.

Step 24:
I put the dress on the doll. 

Step 25:
I decided she needed some finishing touches. I used two black buttons for her eyes inside the stamp, and I gave her a bow. I cut out two rectangles, stitched them together and gathered them in the middle to make the bow. Then I sewed it to her head. 


I'm really happy with the way she turned out. I hope you enjoyed my project.
Love and laughter, 
Patti

4 comments: