Monday, May 2, 2022

Artsy Rolodex

 Artsy Rolodex

Hi, it's me Patti Campbell! This month I would like to share my fun Artsy Rolodex project with you. This idea came about because I was trying to think of a good way to keep the addresses from the Moonie RAK list close at hand while also making it a piece of art.

I wanted something I could access easily, would fit on my desk, and would be fun to look at. First I thought I would just buy an address book and art it up but that wasn't quite what I wanted. Then I thought it would be cool to find an old Rolodex and be able to customize each section/page. 

I happened to be in my car when this idea struck so I went to Staples on the off chance they might have a Rolodex, and to my surprise they did! I bought it and went home to get makey. 

The Rolodex was designed for business cards, so I pulled out my scrap box and my paper cutter and started to cut some of my older pieces of artwork into business card size.



 I decorated some of them with ArtFoamies. I used Wingspan by Sandra EvertsonMixed Media Mashup by Kae PeaFloradala by Kae PeaFlora Elements by Elizabeth St. HilaireTulip by Sarah MatthewsTree of Life by Gypsy Soul, and the April 2022 freebie bunny. I also used several RubberMoon stamps.




I added the addresses and inserted them into the pockets in the Rolodex. For the purpose of this blog I made fake addresses; no real addresses are in these pictures. Because I like to be different and there are no rules in creating art, I alphabetized my address book by first name. Then I went about decorating the alphabet tabs. At first I was just doing it randomly, but then I thought it would be fun to make each letter correspond with a famous artist and to decorate the tab in the style of that artist. 

For some I painted the artist and for others I made a painting in their art style or recreated one of their pieces. I started with my favorite, Frida Kahlo, creating a recognizable portrait with her iconic brows. I recreated The Scream by Edvard Munch for the "E" tab. For "G" I did a landscape in the style of Georgia O'Keeffe. For "H" I recreate a self portrait of Herrad von Lansberg. I recreated Golden Tears (Freya's Heartache) by Klimt and so on and so forth.









It is still a work in progress, but it's really fun to flip through and look at all the art. It was fun to make art that was not only decorative, but also functional. I hope this inspires you to get makey in unusual ways!





Love and laughter,

๐Ÿ’œPatti๐Ÿ’œ

4 comments: